Our History

First Assembly of God

Established July 24, 1956

Building dedication Oct 18, 1959

Rev. James Grigsby

First Assembly of God

This is the history of the Assembly of God in Cambridge City.

It had its beginning in the fall of 1956, when Rev. Alva Wyatt of Richmond, came to Cambridge City and started holding services in homes within the community. After several weeks the congregation moved into the rear of the Central Hotel, and it was there that it became affiliated with the Assemblies of God, the fastest growing full gospel movement in the world today.

Some months later the congregation, with the help of the General Council of the Assemblies of God, purchased three lots at the corner of Fifth and Vine. On March 1st, 1958, Rev. Wyatt accepted a post at Connersville, and the Rev. James Grigsby was called to pastor the church.

In the fall of 1958, after searching for a more suitable place to worship, it was decided by the pastor and congregation to start a building program on the lots which had been acquired earlier. After many months of faithful working, faithful giving and much prayer, there came a day of dedication of a new church building at the corner of Fifth and Vine. Built on a house plan, the church would seat a capacity of 100 and had an annex used for the Sunday school, which could take care of 20 to 35 boys and girls.

The church was named First Assembly of God and showed steady growth for many years. In the mid 1990’s, due to the growing membership, the annex was removed, and a new sanctuary was built to the west side of the building. The previous hall was then renovated into a fellowship hall and added a kitchen for preparing meals.

The River - Assembly of God

In 2004, Rev. Brian & Susan Jenkins, were appointed to the church. Membership had declined in recent years, but they came in and began a series of meetings to revive the ministry in Cambridge City. The name of the church was changed to the River Assembly of God and strong ministry continued in the community.

Life Connections Church - Assembly of God

In October of 2015, Rev. Doug & Amy Harris, answered God’s call to come to Cambridge City to pastor at The River. Over the next couple of years, several small projects were completed, upgrading the building and grounds.

In 2019 a new roof was installed to start off a series of improvements and change that was stalled in 2020 due to the corona virus. In 2021, work resumed and a new parking lot, landscaping, signs, paint and many other projects moved forward.

In addition, the church was rebranded Life Connections Church with a fresh vision and mission to drive the ministry forward. Pastors Doug and Amy wanted to communicate what they feel is God’s call of “Doing Life Together” in the manner of Jesus and His disciples drawing from scripture in Acts 2:42And they continued steadfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers.”